Put your jersey on!
June 19, 2012
This week, we are mourning due to the loss of our beloved Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals. Regardless, we love our teams in Boston! Over the past decade each of the Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, and the Patriots celebrated world championships. One of great things about Boston is the passion for the local hometown team. We love our winners, especially those whose potential is well coached and talent is maximized. I believe that teamwork is appreciated well beyond the sports realm and beyond the Boston area. I believe that we all can accomplish more together when we work as a team. A great team can overcome adversity more creatively together. A great team can find creative solutions as they work together. I believe one of the elements that set all winning teams apart from those with potential.
One of the values of The Link is TEAM:
We value team
“The vision of spiritually impacting a city is greater than any one person. It is a God-sized vision that can only be accomplished through a team of Christ followers working together. Everyone has a unique call and a valuable role. We sharpen one another.”
One of the things that I have observed about successful teams is that everyone understands and fulfills their respective roles. I am very excited about the potential of the Link because of the God-sized vision and the quality of emerging Team. I am also convinced that we will make more impact together. While I am excited about my role as coach and catalyst, we need more leaders / teammates who will join the cause and fulfill their role to impact this great city for the good. Currently more team members are needed. Over the next few posts we will explore the opportunities with The Link but today I would like to share some highlights from recent blog post from Brad Lomenick; recent “Characteristics of Great Teammates” post from Brad Lomenick.
“…In fact, many believe to be a good leader, you must first be a great teammate. And I would suggest that great leaders are equally in tune with how best to be a teammate, along with how to lead well.
So here are a few thoughts on being a great team member:
1. Good teammates are great finishers. They get the job done. They take projects across the finish line.
2. Good teammates anticipate. They understand what needs to be done next before others, and are always looking for ways to make the process better.
3. Good teammates criticize their leader in private, and praise in public. Enough said on that.
4. Good teammates are trustworthy. When given an assignment, a leader can be assured that it will get done. This is incredibly important.
5. Good teammates are vision copycats. They take on, embody and live out the vision and mission of their leader, and of the organization.
6. Good teammates make their leader better. They push their leader, and know how to lead up appropriately and intentionally.
7. Good teammates make their other teammates better. They know how to lead their peers and lead across in an organization, and don’t rely on the leader to be the only one motivating the team, as well as holding the other teammates accountable.
8. Good teammates lead themselves. They don’t need to be managed, and aren’t needy. They don’t need all the attention from the leader. Good teammates know their respective roles.
9. Good teammates put the success of the team ahead of personal success.
10. Good teammates are focused and dedicated. They sacrifice the good in expectation of something better.”
What about you?
What kind of teammate are you?
What kind of teammate do you want to be?